The U.S. Army Medical Department Museum is open Monday-Saturday from 10 am – 4 pm. The museum is closed on Sundays and the following observed federal holidays.
2021 Federal Holidays:
- Jan 1, 2021 (New Year's Day)
- Jan 18, 2021 (Martin Luther King Jr Day)
- Feb 15, 2021 (President's Day)
- May 31, 2021 (Memorial Day)
- July 5, 2021 (Observed Independence Day)
- Sept 6, 2021 (Labor Day)
- Nov 11, 2021 (Veteran's Day)
- Nov 25, 2021 (Thanksgiving Day)
- Dec 24, 2021 (Christmas Eve)
- Dec 25, 2021 (Christmas Day)
Due to current restrictions regarding COVID-19, the museum is temporarily closed to the public.
There is no admission fee, however, we ask that you consider a donation of $5 per person to help maintain this magnificent tribute to the Army Medical Museum History.
The museum is self-guided. Upon arrival, you will be greeted by museum staff at the front desk. If you have questions about the museum or the best way to explore the exhibits our knowledgeable staff can assist you. However, you could spend hours exploring the museum's vast history of the US Army Medical Department.
All group tours are closed currently due to COVID19. Only tours that will be held in the museum at the moment are for military personnel.
Security Check: There is no security check to enter the Museum facility, be aware that there is a security requirement to enter Joint Base Fort Sam Houston.
Pet Policy: Pets are not allowed in the museum or the museum's outside exhibits. Pets can not be left inside of vehicles on the premises. Please make arrangements for your pets prior to your visit. Certified Service Animals specifically trained to aid a person with a disability are allowed, as long as they are under the owner’s control. Any service animal that poses a threat to the health and safety of others may be removed upon exhibiting such behavior.
Acceptable Attire: The museum is a family venue and acceptable attire is required for entry. Visitors will not be allowed entry into the museum wearing clothing with profanity or words that disparage individuals or groups based on sex, race, or national origin.
Food & Drink: Outside food and drink are not allowed inside the museum. If you have questions regarding this policy please contact us.
ADA Accessible: The Museum is ADA accessible with access ramps and handicap parking located in the front of the building.
Parking is located in front of the museum. There are handicap accessible parking spaces located at the front of the parking lot.
Unofficial Installation Access Procedures
Visitors (family, friends, etc.)
Active duty service members, retirees and their dependents (18 years or older), and civil service employees can sponsor up to 5 visitors for up to 30 days by completing three steps:
1. Contact the Visitor Center (VC) via government email, or in person to validate sponsorship.
2. Provide the visitor's full name, date of birth and driver's license number to the VC via government email in advance. Please send the Unescorted Access Request form to the VC at firstname.lastname@example.org via a government email account.
3. Once approved, the visitor(s) must report to the VC to receive base access passes.
Note: Single sponsor requests for more than 5 people will require prior approval. The request must be submitted to the VC 10 days prior to arrival of the guests.
Our gift shop is located just inside the main museum entrance on the right. The shop contains a wide variety of books, t-shirts, prints, and military items and souvenirs of your visit. All proceeds go to supporting the museum.