The U.S. Army Medical Department Museum is open Monday-Friday from 10 am – 4 pm. The museum is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, and the following observed federal holidays.
2022 Federal Holiday Closures:
- December 31, 2022 (Observed New Year's Day)
- Jan 17, 2022 (Martin Luther King Jr Day)
- Feb 21, 2022 (President's Day)
- May 30, 2022 (Memorial Day)
- June 20, 2022 (Juneteenth National Independence Day)
- July 4, 2022 (Independence Day)
- Sept 5, 2022 (Labor Day)
- Oct 10, 2022 (Indigenous Peoples' Day)
- Nov 11, 2022 (Veteran's Day)
- Nov 24, 2022 (Thanksgiving Day)
- Dec 26, 2022 (Observed Christmas Day)
The museum is currently open for all authorized visitors to JBSA-Ft. Sam Houston under revised business hours. At present, we are only available for visitation, Monday - Friday, from 1000-1600, and we are closed Saturdays and Sundays.
At this time, wear of face masks is optional inside the museum.
There is no admission fee, however, we ask that you consider a donation of $5 per person to help maintain this magnificent tribute to the Army Medical Museum History.
The museum is self-guided. If you have questions about the museum or the best way to explore the exhibits our knowledgeable staff can assist you. The average visit ranges from 1-2 hours, however you could spend multiple hours exploring the museum's vast history of the US Army Medical Department.
To arrange for a Guided Tour, please contact the museum at least 14-days prior to your visit so staffing can be arranged for your request.
Security Check: There is no security check to enter the Museum facility, but be aware that there is a security requirement to enter Joint Base Fort Sam Houston.
Pet Policy: Pets are not allowed in the museum or the museum's outside exhibits. Pets can not be left inside of vehicles on the premises. Please make arrangements for your pets prior to your visit. Certified Service Animals specifically trained to aid a person with a disability are allowed, as long as they are under the owner’s control. Any service animal that poses a threat to the health and safety of others may be removed upon exhibiting such behavior.
Acceptable Attire: The museum is a family venue and acceptable attire is required for entry. Visitors will not be allowed entry into the museum wearing clothing with profanity or words that disparage individuals or groups based on sex, race, or national origin.
Food & Drink: Outside food and drink are not allowed inside the museum. If you have questions regarding this policy please contact us.
ADA Accessible: The Museum is ADA accessible with access ramps and handicap parking located in the front of the building.
Museum parking is located in front of the museum. There are handicap accessible parking spaces located at the front of the parking lot.
Unsponsored Installation Access Procedures Civilian museum visitors
Individuals without an official government ID card allowing access to the installation, and those without a sponsor available, may still visit the museum by following these steps:
- Proceed to the Walters Street Visitor Center located at 892 Hood St, San Antonio, TX 78208.
- Request a Visitor Pass to visit the Army Medical Department Museum, then provide requested identification for processing.
- Once approved, proceed through the Walters Street gate entrance. Present your issued Visitor Pass and ID card.
Note: Groups of more than 5 people will require prior VC approval. The request must be submitted to the AMEDD Museum 14 days prior to arrival. Please contact the AMEDD Museum at (210) 221-6358 to initiate the request.
Sponsored Installation Access Procedures Civilian family, friends, etc.
Active duty service members, retirees and their dependents (18 years or older), and civil service employees can sponsor up to 5 visitors for up to 30 days by completing three steps:
- Contact the Visitor Center (VC) via government email, or in person to validate sponsorship.
- Provide the visitor's full name, date of birth and driver's license number to the VC via government email in advance. Please send the Unescorted Access Request form to the VC at email@example.com via a government email account.
- Once approved, the visitor(s) must report to the VC to receive base access passes.
Note: Single sponsor requests for more than 5 people will require prior approval. The request must be submitted to the VC 10 days prior to arrival of the guests.
For additional information regarding access to Joint Base San Antonio- Fort Sam Houston, please visit:
Our gift shop is located just inside the main museum entrance on the right. The shop contains a wide variety of books, t-shirts, prints, and military items and souvenirs of your visit. All proceeds go to supporting the museum.