Renovation Project

Main Hallway

The AMEDD Museum Announces Gallery Renovations

08 January 2024

The United States Army Medical Department Museum (AMEDD Museum) will be undergoing a major renovation starting on 19 JAN 2024. This renovation will require the Museum to cease all public operations on that date and remain closed to the public until June 2025.

This renovation is a result of an Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Save America’s Treasures Grant was awarded to the AMEDD Museum Foundation Inc. a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corporation. The Foundation has raised funds to match the grant to provide the Museum with $960,000 for this work. The grant will be used to bring the Museum galleries up to the highest standards of environmental stability for the preservation of the Army’s medical artifacts dating back to its founding in 1775. These artifacts represent the rich history of Army medicine and the medical innovations that have benefited humanity around the world. The work will be completed in time for the 250th anniversary of the Army on June 14th, 2025. Army Medicine will celebrate 250 years on July 27th, 2025.

While the primary mission of the Museum is to educate Army medical professionals at all levels of service, it also provides vital educational resources to students involved in all aspects of health and medicine education from elementary to post graduate programs. The Museum hosts over 40,000 visitors per year from around the world. The Museum also provides consultations and
research services in coordination with the Army Medical Center of History and Heritage.

Founded in 1922 at Carlisle Barracks Pennsylvania, the Museum is one of the oldest in the Army and has been located in San Antonio since 1946. The current museum building was built by the AMEDD Museum Foundation with private donations in 1989 hand had undergone expansion to its current facility in four additional phases ending in 2012. The Museum grounds cover 7 acres of Fort Sam Houston and include both indoor and outdoor exhibits, and Medal of Honor Walk, and a 300-seat outdoor amphitheater. Since 1978, the Foundation has raised over $10,000,000 to build and expand the Museum. Today the Museum holds over 14,000 artifacts relating to the history and heritage of Army Medicine.

Our plan is to re-open the Museum for the public in June 2025. During this time, we will not only be renovating our galleries, but we will also be receiving an M113 armored ambulance for outdoor display to add to our extensive collection of both air and ground ambulances. Our 1953 rail car ambulance will be getting a full exterior restoration, and our outdoor exhibits will be getting a facelift. Upon or reopening our museum will include many artifacts that have not been on display in the past decade, and newly acquired artifacts never before displayed. It is expected that the total artifacts on display will grow by as much at 30%.

To follow the progress of our renovations please follow us online @ArmyMedicineHistory

Leave a Comment